WED. UPDATE: Coast Guard Suspends Search and Lists Report as "Unfounded"
Case will be re-opened only if there is new information
The Coast Guard has suspended a search for a man in the ocean in front of Altantic Avenue, Point Beach, and will re-open the case only if there is new information.
By 10 p.m. Tuesday, the Coast Guard had left the scene.
Prior to that, a Coast Guard helicopter hovered over Point Pleasant Beach Tuesday night as emergency personnel responded to a report about a possible missing man, police and fire officials said.
By 10 p.m. no one had been found and most emergency responders had left the scene. A Coast Guard vessel and a few police boats had been searching since shortly after emergency responders were called to the scene at 7 p.m.
A helicopter used search lights as a report came in about a missing man wearing orange shorts having entered the water at the beach at Atlantic Avenue and then not seen again.
However, when emergency responders arrived at the beach, no one there was in distress, reporting anyone missing, said Lt. Joseph Michigan. He said Point Beach police, as well as police in neighboring towns, had not received any missing person report with a specific name.
So police could not confirm that someone had, in fact, gone into the water and not come out, Michigan said.
Ocean County Fire Marshal Daniel P. Mulligan, the Point Pleasant First Aid and Emergency Squad, Point Beach Fire Department and the Point Boro First Aid Squad also responded to the scene.