Point Boro Cancels Halloween Parade
Hopes to re-schedule after Sandy
The Point Pleasant Borough Halloween parade is cancelled due to the impending storm.
Eileen McCabe, Chamber Director, announced in a membership email on Saturday night that the parade is cancelled for two reasons. First, the parade requires that a long section of Bridge Avenue be closed, which is a problem because Bridge Avenue is an evacuation route.
"OEM (Office of Emergency Management) is requesting that we maintain an open roadway on Bridge Avenue as it is an evacuation route," McCabe wrote in the email.
"Also, the weather forecast has just about screamed wind and rain starting as early as 7 a.m.," she said.
"As disappointing as this is for tomorrow, we are entertaining the idea of lifting our 'No Rain Date' policy," she said.
"Working closely with the Point Pleasant Police Department and mayor and council, we are going to research the idea of hosting the parade after Hurricane Sandy’s visit," she said.
So far, Point Borough has announced only voluntary evacuations, but that is subject to change when officials meet again tomorrow morning. They will also discuss whether schools will close and other plans.
There are mandatory evacuations, by 4 p.m. Sunday, in Bay Head, Mantoloking and the oceanfront sections of Point Beach and Brick.