.

Views Differ on Steel Wall Construction in Mantoloking

Environmentalists and local officials disagree on the worth of the project

Photo: Chasing New Jersey
Photo: Chasing New Jersey
Local officials and environmentalists have put forth different views on the steel revetment being built along the oceanfront in Mantoloking and Brick.

"At the end of the day, this shows that the shore is back," Sgt. Stacy Ferris, Mantoloking Emergency Management Coordinator, told Chasing New Jersey. "And then long term, people can rebuild their homes, the highway will be protected. This is built to the 1 percent storm. God forbid that 1 percent storm comes, we'll be protected."

But some disagree, saying the wall isn't worth its $23 million price tag, 80 percent of which will be paid by the federal government. The remaining 20 percent will be paid by the state government.

“Money funded by tax payers should not go to town projects such as seawalls, but towards more sustainable projects like dune restoration," said Jeff Tittel of the New Jersey chapter of the Sierra Club. "This is where the breach happened and it could happen again not only destroying the wall, but washing the $40 million out to sea. The state does not currently have a program that requiring towns to protect and maintain their dunes, which is what we need."

Mantoloking's dunes, however, will eventually be protected by a federally funded beach and dune replenishment project. Under that project the dunes will, indeed, be eligible for federally funded maintenance every seven years for 50 years and in post-storm emergencies.

Chuck Cumella July 14, 2014 at 04:46 PM
Go away Jeff Tittel. You are nothing more than a useless tree hugger. Go to New Hampshire. Bye
Chuck Cumella July 14, 2014 at 07:24 PM
I doubt if Jeff has ever had a real thought on his own
Laura July 14, 2014 at 07:54 PM
Chuck, you have something against trees?
BrickAmericanMan July 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM
15' DUNES ALONG THE WHOLE NJ COAST WITH NATIVE PLANTS AND FLOWERS. LOOKS GREAT, CHEAPER AND ACTUALLY WORKS. MAKE EACH HOME OWNER MAINTAIN THE DUNE AND FINE THEM IF THEY DO NOT.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »