When asked on Thursday if Jenkinson's has signed easements, Toby Wolf, Jenkinson's marketing manager, checked with Ed McGlynn, Jenkinson's attorney, and emailed the following message:
"Ed said that we had representatives at the meeting last night to hear all of the information presented. He also said that we agree with most of our neighbors in attendance that there are still too many unanswered questions to make a decision at this time."
McGlynn and Frank Storino of Jenkinson's, the largest beach owner in town, were at the Wednesday night meeting where the state Department of Environmental Protection presented information about the dune replenishment project planned for the Ocean County portion of a massive project.
The primary reasons cited by oceanfront property owners at the meeting for not wanting to sign the easements are: it would require that at least some public access be provided where there are easements on private property; ceding control of part of their property to the government; what that would entail in the short and long term futures, and still having to pay taxes on it.
DEP officials countered that the replenishment is necessary to help safeguard lives as well as public and private property. They said Superstorm Sandy prompted Congress to finally allocate enough funds to replenish much of the Jersey Shore region.
It appears the next step is that Point Beach officials hope to meet with state officials to try to work out a solution. Only three of the 49 oceanfront property owners have signed easements so far.
For the story on the Wednesday night meeting, click here.