A house fire at the end of Monmouth Court was caused by a problem that was "electrical in nature" and started in the attic, said Ocean County Fire Marshal Daniel Mulligan on Saturday afternoon.
The Friday evening fire at the end of a cul-de-sac, off Dorsett Dock Road, is still under investigation but is not considered suspicious, said Mulligan, who is also Chief.
Mulligan said he thinks the house can be salvaged, despite extensive fire, smoke and water damage.
"The bedrooms seem OK, but the attic is in very bad shape," he noted.
He said when Point Borough firefighters first arrived at the scene, shortly after 5 p.m. Friday, they were met with intense heat coming from the attic and then the fire broke through the roof, Mulligan said.
"Once the fire broke through the roof, the fire started ventilating and intensifying," Mulligan said.
He added that because the blaze started in the attic, it was difficult to access and fight.
and fire departments were called to the scene shortly after 5 p.m. Friday and, with help from other departments, brought the fire under control about an hour later, Mulligan said.
There were about 30 volunteer Point Borough firefighters working the fire, with help from the following fire departments:
Point Beach Fire Department sent two engines, with about 12 firefighters, Laurelton Fire Department sent a ladder truck with about half a dozen firefighters and Herbertsville sent about eight firefighters.
Bay Head was on standby at one of the Point Borough fire houses during the firefighting effort. The Point Borough Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary provided soup and sandwiches to firefighters. Point Boro First Aid Squad also assisted at the scene.
County Fire Marshals William Gee and John Pasola have been leading the investigation.