FOP President OK with Prisoner Processing Protocol

Retired Gloucester Township police officer and FOP Lodge 206 President Brian Bates sees no need to modify protocol for processing prisoners in the wake of Friday morning's shooting inside the police station.

The Gloucester Township Police Department family let out a collective sigh of relief Friday morning upon learning all three officers shot by a prisoner inside the Chews Landing Road police station a few hours earlier were expected to make full recoveries.

"It was an incident no one ever wants to be faced with. They went in with a strong hand and they fought the situation. You can be proud of all three of them. ... They came out on top. That's all you can ask for in those situations," Brian Bates, president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 206, said Friday evening.

Sgt. James Garber, Sgt. Kevin Thyne and Ptl. Ruth Burns all sustained injuries when 39-year-old Willingboro resident Eddie Jones III attacked and disarmed Burns while he was being processing on a stalking charge, "unleash(ing) a barrage of gunfire," at around 5:30 a.m. Friday, Gloucester Township Police Chief W. Harry Earle said during a press conference Friday afternoon.

Garber and Thyne shot and killed Jones, Earle said.

"Their actions—the way they handled the situation when it arose—was unbelievable," Bates said. "They fought the fight in its face and won, and that's the ultimate goal."

Garber was the most seriously injured of the three officers, sustaining a gunshot wound to his stomach that required surgery. He was listed in stable condition at Cooper University Hospital, in Camden, Saturday morning, hospital spokeswoman Lori Shaffer said.

Thyne and Burns were treated and released on Friday.

With the investigation into Friday's shooting still ongoing and authorities tight-lipped on specifics about the gunfire, it remains unclear exactly how and why Jones was able to get to Burns' duty weapon.

Still, Bates is confident the proper procedures are already in place to prevent another shooting incident inside the police station.

"I'm not sure what happened, but I know that the standards that were set prior to this I was fine with and the safety of that was fine. I have no problem with the protocol at this time, no," Bates, a retired Gloucester Township police officer, said.

Jones was arrested shortly after 1 a.m. Friday, accused of stalking an ex-girlfriend at an undisclosed location in Gloucester Township. At the time of his arrest, he presented a New Jersey Department of Corrections (DOC) identification card and claimed to be a corrections officer, according to police. It was later learned Jones was a civilian communications operator for DOC at its Garden State Youth Correctional Facility, in Yardville, Mercer County.

The Burlington County Times reported Saturday morning that Jones was in possession of a loaded gun when he was arrested early Friday. Camden County Prosecutor's Office did not respond to a request to comment on that report in time for this article's initial publication.

Jones removed Burns' Sig Sauer P229 .40-caliber handgun from her department-issued "Threat Level 3" holster, Earle said.

Bates indicated the Police Department's holsters have three locks to make it difficult for suspects to disarm officers.

"I have all the faith in those holsters," he said.

Gloucester Township Patch has filed an Open Public Records Act request with the Camden County Prosecutor's Office for a copy of the police station video—or copies of videos—that captured the shooting incident. Police Chief W. Harry Earle indicated during a press conference on Friday that the incident was captured on video.

The Camden County Prosecutor's Office is reviewing the officer-involved shooting. Prosecutor Warren Faulk said at a press conference Friday that initial evidence shows Garber and Thyne responded to gunfire Jones initiated.

telepathy December 31, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Suicide by cop? Yep.... Sigh. An analogy? Reasons? Prayers to the families of all involved on both sides.
Penelope Harkin December 31, 2012 at 07:27 PM
“…it remains unclear exactly how and why Jones was able to get to Burns’ duty weapon.” From what I understand, Patrolwoman Burns stands five-feet-two and weighs in at all of one hundred and five pounds. Not really much of a mystery how the perp was able to overpower her and take her weapon. The mystery is how someone of such diminutive physical stature could possibly qualify for any police department.
Schu December 31, 2012 at 07:34 PM
This is gt, scandals, robberies, explosions, child molestors, drug dealers...we got it all.
Sean McCullen December 31, 2012 at 07:53 PM
The comments section on this article will be shut down this evening through Wednesday morning so Patch staffers can enjoy the New Year's holiday with family and friends. If you wish to comment on this article, please do so by 5 p.m. today.
Charles December 31, 2012 at 08:50 PM
That's what we get for living close to Camden City. There aren't enough victims there, so the scum come out to the suburbs to forage. Our police need to adopt a more alert mindset when dealing with criminals. No more mr./ms. nice guy!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »