UPDATE: Point Beach Suspect in "Critical Condition" at Jersey Shore Medical Center

All lockdowns in Beach and Borough public schools are over

One of the team involved in the search for the man this morning. Photo courtesy of Point Pleasant Beach Retailers
One of the team involved in the search for the man this morning. Photo courtesy of Point Pleasant Beach Retailers
A man taken into police custody in Point Beach on Wednesday morning is "in really critical condition" at Jersey Shore Medical Center from a self-inflicted gun shot wound, according to the Ocean County Prosecutor's office.

The man who compelled police to lock down schools in Point Borough and Point Beach for about an hour on Wednesday morning is still alive, according to Al Della Fave, spokesman for the prosecutor's office. 

The incident did not involve any robbery attempt, Della Fave said.

Brick Police Captain Robert Mazza said the suspect was involved in a "domestic issue" sometime last night, and Brick police had been looking for him since that time. Brick police issued a description of the man to neighboring police departments, and he was "observed in Point" this morning, Mazza said.

Police were looking for the man at the NJ Transit train station at Route 35 North and ordered all local schools on lockdown until he was apprehended, the police alert states. There were no incidents at any local schools and staff and students were never in any danger, officials said.

No details about the man's name, hometown, age, or alleged crimes have been released by authorities so far, but Della Fave said he will release more information when he receives it from Point Beach police. Point Beach police have referred all media calls to Della Fave.

An earlier message from police in Point Pleasant Borough states:

"Due to police activity in Point Pleasant Beach involving a suicidal armed male subject, all Point Pleasant Borough Schools were on lock down as a precautionary measure. The incident did not involve anything inside the schools, and students were not in any eminent danger. The subject is in police custody at this time."

The following message from Point Borough Schools Superintendent Vincent Smith to all Point Borough public school parents registered with the Honeywell instant alert system is as follows: 

"Earlier this morning, Point Borough Chief of Police Larry Williams notified me of an incident that had occurred in Point Pleasant Beach.

The situation has now been resolved, however, during the incident, the district was placed on lockdown status, in accordance with the district's normal safety procedures and at the advice of Chief Williams.

Although the lockdown has been lifted, I'd like to take this opportunity to assure all parents and guardians that their children were safe at all times throughout this incident.

Again, the situation has been resolved and the lockdown has been lifted."

Smith said the lockdown was put in place shortly after he got a call at about 9:15 a.m. from Point Borough Police Chief Larry Williams asking him to do so. Then at about 10:19 a.m., Smith got the call that the lockdown was no longer needed.

Smith said he had intended to issue an alert to parents about the lockdown, but that his first priority was communicating with all four building principals and to make sure all the students were safe.

"We were in the process of getting this out," he said, referring to work done on a message to parents using the Honeywell system. "But then the issue was resolved. The procedure worked. The staff and kids did great."

After the lockdown was lifted, high school students were permitted to leave school grounds for their lunch periods, Smith said.

Linda Blumenstock, secretary to John A. Ravally, Point Beach schools superintendent, said just before 10 a.m. that the Beach schools were on lock-down and "shelter in place, which means none of the students can leave the building until we get the all clear from the police." She said she did not know exactly when the lock down went into effect this morning.

Patch will update this story as more information becomes available from the prosecutor's office.
Rick Ricky October 02, 2013 at 08:07 PM
I would be more upset with the fact and why they even had kids go to school today knowing this guy was AT LARGE last night? The Brick Police should have alerted all these surrounding towns last night. Not 8:00AM A little to late and lucky no one did get hurt in this process other than this suicidal man. Why put anyone at risk? Obviously they knew he wasn't stable being he ran from them in a domestic dispute. They were looking for him and loss him. The town should have sent messages out like they do for everything else that goes on in the towns. The kids should have been kept home, always could have sent them in late. Better safe than sorry.
A Resident October 02, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Rick Ricky....keep the kids out of which schools? Brick, Lakewood, Toms River, Point, Point Beach, Brielle, Manasquan? Brick PD didn't know where the guy was heading...so can they close a school? Closing all those schools would have caused even more problems.
Stephen Colbert October 03, 2013 at 01:07 AM
@ A Resident, relax, Rick is living in some fantasy world where cops are robots and everyone has a computer chip in them giving away their location.
Rick Ricky October 03, 2013 at 07:45 AM
@A Resident, If that what it takes to keep people&KIDS safe. YES, These towns kept their kids out of school for a lot less then this incident. You and Stephen is the ones who is living in a fantasy world. There is rumors going around (don't know if they are true being they will not tell you what went on during the domestic dispute) They are saying he shot someone there. So Brick Township knows this guy with a gun is running around on foot. Shouldn't all the towns surrounding Brick have been notified? They knew this man was from Port Monmouth and most likely would try to get home in his own area being he knows that area best. He was trying to get on the train. Who has a train going through their town? Pt. Beach & Bay Head. That is were he would have caught a train getting him out of here or bus stops. What was the Brick police department doing from 12:30 at night until 8 am. in the morning? It was reported that Pt. Beach wasn't notified until 8:30 in the morning. I believe that was a delay that should not have happen. No robots or computer chips. We don have phone systems that could have notified everyone to stay inside. What problem would be closing all schools and staying inside caused? I like to hear this fantasy world excuse. These people get paid big bucks to think. Duh!
A Resident October 03, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Duh! You know a lot about the guy that was found out AFTER the event. You also work off a lot of rumors. Thankfully, police work with facts. PS - which is safer, a few thousand kids at home (a good number of which alone as their parents work) or a few thousand kids locked in buildings under lockdown control? I think they are thinking a lot smarter than you may be...


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »